As a Risk Analyst (RA) you will be part of a team that works in a fast-paced, high volume and dynamic environment. This is not just a desk-duty position nor is it an 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. role. The successful candidate will be reliable, self-motivated, results orientated and can meet deadlines. Prior maritime claims handling experience is a plus. Respond to and investigate incidents/accidents at all Virginia International Terminals (VIT) involving damage to equipment, cargo, vessels, vehicles, third-party injuries, with the intention to mitigate VIT’s exposure.
- Responsible for retention of marine surveyors to protect VIT’s interests. Maintain communication with surveyors regarding VIT’s exposure potential.
- Participate in four-week duty rotation for off-hours accident response availability.
- Monitor claim files for follow-up, possible recovery of expenses, and closing.
- Communicate with VIT management, ship lines, brokers, forwarders, surveyors, stevedores, M&R vendors, agents, and attorneys regarding damages to equipment, cargo, vessels, vehicles, and third-party injuries.
- Communicate with the underwriter/mutual regarding any claims with the potential to exceed VIT’s insurance deductible. Keep underwriter/mutual advised regarding VIT’s costs, claims presented, and settlements. Compile and present finalized costs to underwriters for reimbursement of expenses.
- Negotiate settlements with ship lines, brokers, forwarders, OTR drivers, underwriters, agents, and attorneys on the best possible terms for VIT.
- Assist Risk Director in the interaction with attorneys and compiling information needed relating to lawsuits.
- Provide support to Controller with monthly data relating to VIT’s financial exposure and claims with the potential to exceed insurance deductible.
- Administer and track joint liability policy claims for stevedore and provide data relating to all open claims monthly.
- Assist Risk Director with the yearly completion of insurance policy renewals.
- Assist Risk Director to ensure proper and efficient handling of claims, gathering data for loss forecasting, and estimating financial value of claims.
- Assist Risk Director in the supervision of staff, currently the Risk Management claims coordinator.
- Ensures compliance with all security, safety and environmental regulations and policies within work area at all times. This includes properly addressing issues through action or reporting issues and concerns to Manager.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in related discipline, or equivalent work experience
- 3+ years of claims adjusting experience, managing simple to complex claims
- Ability to multi-task and maintain attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, ability to think critically and project management skills
- Ability to make decisions independently, the ability to present complex problems to management, peers, and third parties
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Acess)
- Ability to read and understand contracts, tariff, and insurance policies
- Ability to produce detailed documents with accuracy
- Clean driving record
5+ years marine claims experience
- Demonstrated leadership and/or Supervisory experience
- Industry related certifications
- Experience in the maritime/transportation industry
- Experience using claim handling software called “Riskonnect.”
Thank you for your interest in this employment opportunity. Should you wish to pursue this, we will need to have you complete our Orientation, which will acclimate you to our One-Stop Center services, and will get you registered with us- your first step to success. Orientations can be completed online at www.opp-inc.org/orientation as well as in our Resource Room located in the Opportunity Inc.One-Stop Workforce Center, 861 Glenrock Road, Suite 100 in Norfolk, Virginia, just behind Military Circle Mall.
For your convince, you can also complete the orientation online at our Suffolk office on Mondays at 1PM (157 N.Main Street Suffolk, Virginia 757-514-7737) or our Franklin office (located at the Paul D Camp Community College Regional Workforce Development Center 100 N. College Drive)
Once your Orientation and Survey are completed, please come in to complete your intake process- intakes are held Monday through Friday in our Norfolk office from 8:30AM-3:30PM. Once this is completed, please ask to speak with Business Services, and please have your resume available for review.
If you are already enrolled, please contact your Career Developer, reference the Job Order number (Job Code Number), and ask that they refer you for the position. In either case, please have a resume available to target the position in which you are interested.
Thanks again, and we look forward to seeing you at Orientation!
You must sign in to apply for this position.